Sr. Big Data Engineer
Act as a researcher / developer / system administrator with a focus on prototyping, architecting, and testing current trends in the realms of distributed science and data analysis.
Additional to that I aid in leading Proof of Value (PoV) efforts within the Capital One community.
Teach a special topics course in Secure UNIX Administration for the graduate Cyber program with focus on firewalls, current attack approaches (Metasploit, memory corruption, etc.), IDS / IPS technologies, Phishing prevention, malware analysis, and incident response.
Lead a small team of engineers to develop a fault tolerant and scalable ingest topology over the Storm framework. Personally handle myriad aspects of the development process to include:
- managing team members and tasking
- communicating architecture design decisions to teammates and customers
- presenting notable achievements and deliverables to key executive leadership
- writing specialized filesystem cache mechanisms useful specifically for execution within a distributed Storm environment
- building out the ingest cluster to include Storm, Zookeeper, Hadoop, and Accumulo
The system is built to support multiple different data types and formats (some proprietary) with the goal of data fusion and analytic discovery.
Aided in business development and planning across multiple projects to include system integration and strategy, requirements planning, deployment preparation, and live demonstrations for customers across multiple agencies.
Integral member of a cluster application with focus on 'Big Data' analysis and analytic fusion; lead teams in:
- data ingestion strategy and design
- analytic development and production integration
- scalable architecture design
System administrator over a 20-node cluster running Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Accumulo to perform network defense capabilities while maintaining federal government Red Hat security standards and practices.
Integral member to the internal organization helping to:
- develop a successful mentorship program, both for younger and senior developers
- work with the recruitment team to interview and hire qualified individuals measuring in both technical and cultural fit
- anointed the lead mentorship position for all software developers helping morale, culture, and education
Produced network flow statistical primitives through MapReduce over a 50-node Hadoop cluster to aid in performance of computationally bound analytics; operated on 8 to 12 terabytes of data per day.
Wrote custom ingestion capabilities for network – and related – data to be placed into Accumulo with high focus on performance for near-real time querying.
Computer Science Tutor
Ability to develop communication and teaching skills by presenting core computer science concepts to the Undergraduate community.
Provided extensive networking / desktop support and performed server / account maintenance tasks daily.
Earned commendations for teamwork, technical skill, and work excellence in providing IT support to over 40,000 students, staff, and faculty.